Get ready to scroll! It’s my Top 50 Records of 2015.
Why did I put this level of effort into this? Because I have nothing better to do with my life!
Click the album name for a song to listen to!
50. Panopticon – Autumn Eternal
49. Palm – Trading Basics
48. Clarence Clarity – No Now
47. Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress
46. The Weather Station – Loyalty
45. 2814 –新しい日の誕生 (Birth Of A New Day)
44. Steve Gunn & Black Twig Pickers – Seasonal Hire
43. Skylar Spence – Prom King
42. Seoul – I Become A Shade
41. Empress Of – Me
40. Daniel Bachman – River
39. Colleen – Captain Of None
38. Arca – Mutant
37. Jamie xx – In Colour
36. Young Fathers – White Men Are Black Men Too
35. Alex G – Beach Music
34. Mac DeMarco – Another One
33. Torres – Sprinter
32. Natalie Prass – Natalie Prass
31. Yowler – The Offer
30. Panda Bear – Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper
29. Prurient – Frozen Niagara Falls
28. Saintseneca – Such Things
27. Chelsea Wolfe – Abyss
26. Julien Baker – Sprained Ankle
25. Ava Luna – Infinite House
24. Roman A Clef – Abandonware
23. Carly Rae Jepsen – E•MO•TION
22. Tame Impala – Currents
21. Beach House – Depression Cherry
20. Majical Cloudz – Are You Alone?
2015, for the most part, wasn’t fun. I carved out a pretty sizable hiding place in the contours of this record. A place that allowed wallowing and healing, mostly the former though. Hey no running on the side of the pool you’re gonna break your dang neck and we’re gonna get sued out the ass by your soccer-ass mom and dad. Jeez. Dang kids.
18. Chastity Belt – Time To Go Home
Nothing’s serious, everything’s a joke.
18. Jessica Pratt – On Your Own Love Again
A spider queen is elegantly weaving a wondrous web shaded with psychedelic hues around your head, showing you the marvels of the universe. “What the heck is in this web” you wonder. “Wouldn’t you like to know,” she coos, as your new form begins to take shape.
17. Eskimeaux – O.K.
There are a lot of really important lyrics on this album. I think it came at an appropriate time in my life. “Nothing in this world is holier than friendship…” I’ll keep that in mind.
16. Sufjan Stevens – Carrie & Lowell
The master of sad-yet-beautiful continues to master his trade, this time stabbing the sword deep within himself, showing the listener his glistening, gorgeous blood that came from his familial past.
15. Braids – Deep In The Iris
This is the best synth pop record of 2015. There was not a better “synth pop” record from this year. If you disagree, that’s your own opinion. This was my opinion. Thanks for reading. Haha.
14. Krill – A Distant Fist Unclenching
R.I.P. for real. Great band.
13. Kamasi Washington – The Epic
Big jazz man takes over! Watch out! He’s a really cool person! He’ll make you a fan even if you don’t wanna be one!
12. Viet Cong – Viet Cong
Imagine some kind of bizarro factory where people just pull levers & press buttons all day and nothing gets done, but each employee goes home satisfied. Eventually they all die and are easily replaced. That’s what this record sounds like.
11. Oneohtrix Point Never – Garden Of Delete
This makes my skin crawl in all the best ways. It’s like a slime that slowly creeps into my organs and makes them uncontrollably gush cortisol, even during the quieter moments. It’s a haphazard specter of aggression that floats in and floats out, leaving an oozing trail of nervous, giddy tension. I think at 23 I’m ready to enter my mallgoth phase. Never too late to party, they say.
10. Father John Misty – I Love You Honeybear
What a stinkin’ sadsack. I mean, he has a lot of good points and he sounds real nice for the most part. Gotta give him that. Alright I take back that first statement. FJM is a cool guy. The arrangements on these songs are so ace. DAMN!
9. Holly Herndon – Platform
Turn your brain into an iOS app in 50 quick minutes with Holly Herndon’s Platform. Enriched in aloe vera, sleek and stylish for nights on the town. Approval from friends and colleagues will rain upon you forever more. Never will a doubtful thought enter your brain zone, unless you’ve jailbroken it. Reboot not required, but encouraged.
8. Colin Stetson & Sarah Neufeld – Never Were The Way She Was
Big jazz sax boy Stetson meets fiddle slayer Neufeld. Results are expectedly excellent. Like a vicious, yet beautiful battle between snake and mongoose. Always churning and toe to toe, working in tandem and in discord.
7. Mount Eerie – Sauna
Many thanks to my lord and savior Phil Elverum for this pillar of oblivion to admire during this hellhole of a year.
6. Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Multi-Love
Sun baked grooves that make ya move, what else is there to prove, dude? Nothing.
5. Julia Holter – Have You In My Wilderness
The best dream pop record of this year, if you can even call it that. Transport me to this house of smoke and mirrors and strings, please.
4. Kendrick Lamar – To Pimp A Butterfly
I mean, duh.
3. Hop Along – Painted Shut
If you’ve never listened to Hop Along, you’re cheating yourself. All you need is the voice and you’re golden. Get everything else and you’re platinum. See them live? Woah now bud you’re pushing it. You’re gonna chrome yourself.
2. Bjork – Vulnicura
It’s Björk AND Arca AND Haxan Cloak. Did you somehow think it wouldn’t be either my #1 or #2 pick? Nah no one cares enough. It is #2 though. So that answers that.
1. Joanna Newsom – Divers
Well that was obvious. “Woah chill this ain’t as good as Have One On Me or Ys or Milk-Eyed Mender!” Haha woah please stop talking. This is my favorite record of the year. Bye!
You reached the end! Sorry for the long scroll and FJM-ness. Hope you enjoyed it anyways.
- Joanna Newsom – Divers
- Björk – Vulnicura
- Hop Along – Painted Shut
- Kendrick Lamar – To Pimp A Butterfly
- Julia Holter – Have You In My Wilderness
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Multi-Love
- Mount Eerie – Sauna
- Colin Stetson & Sarah Neufeld – Never Were The Way She Was
- Holly Herndon – Platform
- Father John Misty – I Love You Honeybear
- Oneohtrix Point Never – Garden Of Delete
- Viet Cong – Viet Cong
- Kamasi Washington – The Epic
- Krill – A Distant Fist Unclenching
- Braids – Deep In The Iris
- Sufjan Stevens – Carrie & Lowell
- Eskimeaux – O.K.
- Jessica Pratt – On Your Own Love Again
- Chastity Belt – Time To Go Home
- Majical Cloudz – Are You Alone?
- Beach House – Depression Cherry
- Tame Impala – Currents
- Carly Rae Jepsen – E•MO•TION
- Roman A Clef – Abandonware
- Ava Luna – Infinite House
- Julien Baker – Sprained Ankle
- Chelsea Wolfe – Abyss
- Saintseneca – Such Things
- Prurient – Frozen Niagara Falls
- Panda Bear – Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper
- Yowler – The Offer
- Natalie Prass – Natalie Prass
- Torres – Sprinter
- Mac DeMarco – Another One
- Alex G – Beach Music
- Young Fathers – White Men Are Black Men Too
- Jamie xx – In Colour
- Arca – Mutant
- Colleen – Captain Of None
- Daniel Bachman – River
- Empress Of – Me
- Seoul – I Become A Shade
- Skylar Spence – Prom King
- Steve Gunn & Black Twig Pickers – Seasonal Hire
- 2814 – Birth Of A New Day
- The Weather Station – Loyalty
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress
- Clarence Clarity – No Now
- Palm – Trading Basics
- Panopticon – Autumn Eternal