Man – this post should be about February but I feel like all I’m gonna talk about is March right now. It’s been a doozy so far and I don’t mean in a good way. I hope you all are staying safe and sanitary out there. MOST IMPORTANTLY – support your favorite artists because you know they’re likely struggling during this time! We cannot let it die!
If you’re quarantining yourself, might as well occupy your time with some hot tunes you may have missed from February 2020, including hot nu-jazz from Makaya McCraven and Kassa Overall, doomsday rock from Bambara and Cindy Lee, instrumental bliss from Tennis and Sign Libra, visceral pump-ups from Disclosure and Denzel Curry + Kenny Beats, then finally some bone-rattling electronic experimentation from Against All Logic and Arca. Hope you enjoy and again, hope you stay safe out there.
Against All Logic – 2017-2019 [Other People]
Navigating a labyrinthian sewer system in night vision goggles.
Arca – “@@@@@” [XL Recordings] (technically a single, but it’s also 62 minutes)
A livestreamed recording of an alien life form emerging from a space egg and instantly mutating and distorting time and space around it.
Bambara – Stray [Wharf Cat]
Doomsday-prepper hurtles down an apocalyptic highway, hanging out the side of a blown out car window to deliver a fiery sermon on the end times.
Cindy Lee – What’s Tonight To Eternity [W. 25th St / Superior Viaduct]
Mimicking the pirouettes and plies from an old black and white VHS recording of ballet in a decrepit, empty apartment building.
Denzel Curry & Kenny Beats – UNLOCKED [Loma Vista Recordings]
*suddenly…every character from every known game, cartoon, comic, TV show, movie and book reality come in and beat the shit out of you*
Disclosure – Ecstasy EP [Island]
Seamlessly sliding down one long, spiraling railing from total darkness into a orb-shaped chasm lined with pulsating, multicolored lights.
Gil Scott-Heron – We’re New Again: A Reimagining by Makaya McCraven [XL]
A picture of a beautiful piece of art surrounded by the chains of people that pulled inspiration from it.
Kassa Overall – I THINK I’M GOOD [Brownswood Recordings]
Finding obscure insignias tucked in hiding places around a bustling city leads you to the location of a highly spiritual, secret training ground.
Sign Libra – Sea to Sea [RVNG Intl.]
Floating atop a warm pool while miniature sea life brushes against your back.
Tennis – Swimmer [Detrimentally Yours]
Covered in a dozen wreaths at sunrise, swinging on a giant swing set over a deep ravine.
GR8 SONGS OF FEBRUARY::
- Against All Logic – “Penny”
- Arca – “@@@@@”
- Bambara – “Death Croons”
- Bambara – “Stay Cruel”
- Becky and the Birds – “Do U Miss Me”
- Christine & The Queens – “People, I’ve been sad”
- Cindy Lee – “The Limit”
- Cindy Lee – “One Second To Toe That Line”
- Cindy Lee – “Speaking From Above”
- Cold Beat – “Paper”
- Denzel Curry & Kenny Beats – “DIET_”
- Denzel Curry & Kenny Beats – “So.Incredible.pkg”
- Disclosure – “Ecstasy”
- Disclosure – “Expressing What Matters”
- Drama – “Forever and a Day”
- Drama – “Gimme Gimme”
- Duke Deuce – “Crunk Ain’t Dead (Remix) [feat. Lil Jon, Juicy J & Project Pat]”
- Duke Deuce – “Feel Like It”
- Gil Scott-Heron & Makaya McCraven – “I’ll Take Care Of You”
- Jockstrap – “Acid”
- Kassa Overall – “Halfway House”
- Maybel – “Winter City”
- Moses Boyd – “2 Far Gone (feat. Joe Armon-Jones)”
- Pottery – “Texas Drums Pt I & II”
- Soccer Mommy – “circle the drain”
- Tennis – “Echoes”
- Tennis – “Need Your Love”
- Thundercat – “Dragonball Durag”
- U.S. Girls – “4 American Dollars”
- Waxahatchee – “Lilacs”
- Winter – “Say”
- Yves Tumor – “Gospel For A New Century”
- 100 gecs – “Ringtone (Remix) [feat. Charli XCX, Rico Nasty & Kero Kero Bonito]”