Welcome to March 2018’s edition of Recommended Albums by Warm Visions, featuring some true heavy-hitters. March is so far the leader of quality output in 2018 and I’m excited to see what’s up next.. Most recent addition, Kacey Musgraves, is primed to be my E•MO•TION of 2018, meaning that it’ll be the be the big pop album that I won’t stop listening to. So far I haven’t stopped. Amen Dunes’ “Believe” is also a burner, as well as Peggy Gou’s “Han Jan” and Smerz’s “Half life”. Great crop of tunes here, hope you enjoy.
As always, these releases are alphabetized. Keep scrolling for my fav songs of the month.
Amen Dunes – Freedom [Sacred Bones Records] [buy]
Dramatic shots of various, large birds soaring over and diving into the Grand Canyon.
Bonny Doon – Longwave [Woodsist] [buy]
The entire concept of a deck or porch embodied in a single sound.
Camp Cope – How To Socialise & Make Friends [Run For Cover] [buy]
Listening to an emotionally-charged voicemail from your best friend while idling outside your parents’ house.
Caroline Says – No Fool Like An Old Fool [Western Vinyl] [buy]
A child wandering through the forest hears a calming voice coming from underneath a mossy rock and finds the source to be a gentle jet of steam.
Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour [Mercury Records] [buy]
Plush sun & silky breezes caress your entire body, making you feel weightless.
Mount Eerie – Now Only [P.W. Elverum & Sun] [buy]
Dropping earthly possessions down a deep well and writing songs from the following sounds that bubble up.
Peggy Gou – Once EP [Ninja Tune] [buy]
An interplanetary virus that makes everyone dance has floated into our atmosphere!!!
Smerz – Have fun EP [XL] [buy]
Across a foggy, strobe-lit room, a dancer stares at you intimidatingly.
Yo La Tengo – There’s A Riot Going On [Matador] [buy]
A paleozoic era swamp, brimming and bubbling with genetic material and odd, misshapen creatures, emits frequencies that are calming, yet slightly ominous.
Young Fathers – Cocoa Sugar [Ninja Tune] [buy]
Futuristic bounty hunters engage in a triathlon of dance, opera and artistic skill in a battle of life or death.
GR8 SONGS OF MARCH ::
Listen to all these songs and more from the year on my Best of 2018 Spotify playlist.
- Amen Dunes – “Believe”
- Camp Cope – “UFO Lighter”
- Caroline Says – “Mea Culpa”
- Ed Schrader’s Music Beat – “Riddles”
- Essaie Pas – “Les agents des stups”
- Frankie Cosmos – “Ballad of R & J”
- G Flip – “About You”
- Grouper – “Parking Lot”
- Haley Heynderickx – “The Bug Collector”
- Kacey Musgraves – “High Horse”
- Kacey Musgraves – “Space Cowboy”
- Kacey Musgraves – “Velvet Elvis”
- Kraus – “Outside”
- Lost Girls – “Drive”
- Mount Eerie – “Distortion”
- Peggy Gou – “Han Jan”
- serpentwithfeet – “bless ur heart”
- Shedbug – “Destination Love”
- Simian Mobile Disco – “Caught In A Wave (ft. The Deep Throat Choir)”
- Smerz – “Bail on me”
- Smerz – “Half life”
- Smerz – “Oh my my”
- Sunflower Bean – “Only A Moment”
- Superorganism – “Everybody Wants To Be Famous”
- Yo La Tengo – “For You Too”
- Yo La Tengo – “Shades Of Blue”
- Young Fathers – “In My View”
- 1010 Benja SL – “Wind Up Space”