November 2020 yielded some really lovely albums that helped soothe the anxieties that have been accumulating throughout this year. Ana Roxanne, Domenique Dumont, Faten Kanaan, Jesse Kivel, WL all kept me polished and smooth, porous and formless. Luis Pestana fed into my doomsday daydreams, Mamalarky and Pink Siifu & Fly Anakin warped my reality like a funhouse mirror, and Badge Époque Ensemble and Lindstrøm & Prins Thomas got me on a groove. Does anyone ever read these little blurbs? Either way, there were some great records out this month that will definitely be making my Top 50 of 2020, which is coming soon!
Ana Roxanne – Because Of A Flower [Kranky]
Floating on your back in shallow currents, feeling schools of minnows billow below you.
Badge Époque Ensemble – Self Help [Telephone Explosion]
One groovy pilot takes a commercial flight from Toronto to Albuquerque above the cloud layer, into space and defies gravity with a spectral trip these passengers won’t ever forget.
Domenique Dumont – People On Sunday [Leaf]
A small acorn takes a ride on a dead leaf down a natural runoff stream from a city sidewalk, down a storm drain, through a trickling brook in a mossy coniferous forest, to a big, clear lake at the bottom of a mountain.
Faten Kanaan – A Mythology of Circles [Fire]
A lone knight travels by horseback through grassy fields, along narrow mountain cliffs, and densely wooded forests to reach the ancient sorcerer’s bonfire.
Jesse Kivel – Infinite Jess [New Feelings]
A local theater troupe puts on an inspirational interpretive dance-like production where a projectionist paints backdrops in real time, leading the whole audience to become part of the play, covered in flowers.
Lindstrøm & Prins Thomas – III [Smalltown Supersound]
Laying so perfectly still in the living room that your furniture assumes you left and start dancing to your record player’s rare groove tunes – for those that are curious, the record player is also dancing.
Luis Pestana – Rosa Pano [Orange Milk]
A holy doomsday choir conducts a rousing hymn above a lake of magma with instruments made of the shattered debris that’s been accumulating for centuries.
Mamalarky – Mamalarky [Fire Talk]
An uncontrollable sneezing fit during class leads to various objects flying out of your nose like confetti, french fries, frogs, vitamins, cartoon drawings come to life & stamps.
Pink Siifu & Fly Anakin – FlySiifu’s [Lex]
Lazily playing cards in a storefront window, watching people go about their days.
WL – ADHD [Beacon Sound]
Exploring a botanical garden enshrouded in fog on an early fall morning.
GR8 SONGS OF NOVEMBER 2020:
- Ana Roxanne – “Suite Pour L’invisible”
- Ana Roxanne – “Venus”
- Babeheaven – “Cassette Beat”
- Babeheaven – “Swimming Up River”
- Badge Époque Ensemble – “Just Space For Light (feat. Jennifer Castle)”
- Badge Époque Ensemble – “Unity (It’s Up To You) (feat. James Baley)”
- Cuushe – “Emergence”
- Darkside – “The Only Shrine I’ve Seen – Live In D, July 17, 2014”
- Domenique Dumont – “Falling Asleep Under Pine Trees”
- Domenique Dumont – “People On Sunday”
- Domenique Dumont – “Watching Boats Pass By”
- Faten Kanaan – “The Archer”
- Faten Kanaan – “The North Wind”
- Haviah Mighty – “Atlantic”
- Jesse Kivel – “Northside”
- Jesse Kivel – “Perfecting The Art”
- KOKOROKO – “Baba Ayoola”
- Lindstrøm & Prins Thomas – “Martin 5000”
- Luis Pestana – “Ao Romper de Bela Aurora”
- Luis Pestana – “Asa Machina”
- Mamalarky – “Fury”
- Mamalarky – “Hero”
- Nubya Garcia – “Source (Makaya McCraven Remix)”
- Pink Siifu & Fly Anakin – “Dollar Dr. Dream”
- Pink Siifu & Fly Anakin – “Mind Right (feat. Liv.e)”
- Pink Siifu & Fly Anakin – “Runthafade”
- PVA – “Sleek Form”
- PVA – “Talks”
- Raft of Trash – “Gecko’s Theme (Night)”
- Rob Mazurek & Exploding Star Orchestra – “Parable 3000 (We All Come From Somewhere Else)”
- Roc Marciano – “Broadway Billy (feat. Kool Keith)”
- Shygirl – “TASTY”
- This Daze – “Less About You”
- WL – “Water’s On My Side”