I had a bit of difficulty in creating this batch of records this time around. There was no surplus of good albums to choose from, but rather not many that really connected with me. The undeniable favorite from this month (and the year so far), is Hop Along. An easy choice for me. One favorite that I think doesn’t need to be featured here per se is the Cardi B album. Surprisingly solid pretty much throughout. Don’t really see too many HUGE budget albums like that stay consistently upright across its length. Really love the Half Waif record, the Grouper record, Young Galaxy… it’s good. All good. Hope you enjoy.
Air Waves – Warrior [Western Vinyl]
Upon finding a collection of old photos wedged in a library book, you trace their lineage to uncover the story about a town hero of yonder year.
Anemone – Baby Only You And I [Luminelle]
The billowing, flower-patterned pants you bought at a thrift store keeps throwing you surprise parties when you come back from work.
Elysia Crampton – Elysia Crampton [Break World]
The God of Sand feasts on the natural chaos brought from constant bloody parades and pirate radio broadcasts polluting the airwaves.
Grouper – Grid Of Points [Kranky]
After a hard, summer rain, steam rises from a clearing that’s been ravaged by wildfires.
Half Waif – Lavender [Cascine]
For three weeks, pale purple feathers fall from the sky onto a small village in the swamp.
Hop Along – Bark Your Head Off, Dog [Saddle Creek]
Getting so deeply invested in your family’s old, nostalgic stories that you begin to interact with corporeal visions of times long past.
Janelle Monae – Dirty Computer [Bad Boy Records]
A deliciously funky sexual revolution to get all this bogus business balanced.
Kali Uchis – Isolation [Virgin EMI]
Sitting by a pool in a plush robe while the neighborhood burns behind you.
Speedy Ortiz – Twerp Verse [Carpark Records]
A fleet of empty shopping carts is pushed down a long, cement driveway and crashes into an employee’s 2003 Ford Focus.
Young Galaxy – Down Time [self-released]
In a town where the skies eternally threaten thunderstorms yet never strike, two friends develop a telepathic mode of communication to keep each other company in the darkness.
GR8 SONGS OF APRIL ::
- Air Waves – “Tangerine”
- Anemone – “Bout De Toi”
- Cardi B – “Drip (ft. Migos)”
- Cardi B – “I Do (ft. SZA)”
- Chrome Sparks – “All Or Nothing (ft. Angelica Bess)”
- Daniel Avery – “Projector”
- Elysia Crampton – “Oscollo”
- First Hate – “Fallen”
- Forth Wanderers – “Company”
- Friendly Fires – “Love Like Waves”
- Grouper – “Driving”
- Half Waif – “Silt”
- Half Waif – “Torches”
- Hatchie – “Sleep”
- Hop Along – “How Simple”
- Hop Along – “The Fox In Motion”
- Hop Along – “What The Writer Meant”
- Janelle Monae – “Take A Byte”
- Kali Uchis – “Feel Like A Fool”
- Kali Uchis – “Tyrant (ft. Jorja Smith)”
- Kadhja Bonet – “Delphine”
- Mind Over Mirrors – “Oculate Beings”
- Natalie Prass – “Short Court Style”
- Project Pablo – “Napoletana”
- Speedy Ortiz – “Sport Death”
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra – “Everyone Acts Crazy Nowadays”
- Wye Oak – “Lifer”
- Young Galaxy – “River”