This month’s edition of Recommended Albums really has something for everyone: Big Thief for folk fans, Combo Chimbita for experimental latin, Pottery for Canadian post punk, Erika de Casier for late-90s/early-00s Timbaland-era late night pop, Tim Hecker for existential dread, J-E-T-S for digital aerobics, Feater for melting yacht trip, Cate Le Bon for uncanny pop, Gemma for romantic pop and Jamila for empowering poetry. See? Something for everyone! Oh and new CRJ songs of course.
Big Thief – U.F.O.F. [4AD]
Climbing a tall tree outside your childhood home and watching the new family living inside create their own new memories.
Cate Le Bon – Reward [Mexican Summer]
A steam powered dirigible conducts a petite symphony from its wooden chimes and brass pipes as it lands atop a garden in the sky.
Combo Chimbita – Ahomale [ANTI-]
A weeklong procession of intense folkloric rituals that have kept a small village hidden to the outside world for centuries.
Erika de Casier – Essentials [Independent Jeep Music]
Taking an aromatic bubble bath after a night at the club and sending texts to your exes that you’re having fun without them.
Feater – Socialo Blanco [Running Back]
A casual Summer Friday office party suddenly starts to warp and distort as the coworkers realize someone put psychedelics into the vat of Aperol Spritz.
Gemma – Feeling’s Not A Tempo [Double Double Whammy]
A dance party on a small boat a few kilometers offshore with multi-colored lights casting romantic hues on the sea creatures & coral formations below.
Jamila Woods – LEGACY! LEGACY! [Jagjaguwar]
Words and rhythms physically manifesting out of mouths and instruments forming the rigid backbones, tough spirits and snappy muscles of cities.
J-E-T-S – ZOOSPA [Innovative Leisure]
Merging yourself into a late 90s video game, having a friend spray the console with sugary soda, then plugging it into the bass-boosted sound system of Toyota Tundra.
Pottery – No. 1 EP [Partisan]
Getting strapped into a haunted house-themed rollercoaster that won’t stop and gets faster on every lap, throwing its passengers into a spooked-out, frenzied euphoria.
Tim Hecker – Anoyo [Kranky]
Deep in an ancient forest, you witness the prophecy of all the stars falling from the sky becoming fulfilled.
GR8 SONGS OF MAY:
Listen to all these songs & more on the WARM VISIONS BEST OF 2019 PLAYLIST!
- ALASKALASKA – “Moon”
- Big Thief – “Contact”
- Big Thief – “From”
- Carly Rae Jepsen – “Everything He Needs”
- Carly Rae Jepsen – “Julien”
- Carly Rae Jepsen – “No Drug Like Me”
- Cate Le Bon – “Magnificent Gestures”
- Cate Le Bon – “Mother’s Mother’s Magazines”
- Combo Chimbita – “Ahomale”
- Cross Record – “PYSOL My Castle”
- Dehd – “Lucky”
- Denzel Curry – “RICKY”
- Denzel Curry – “WISH”
- Empath – “Soft Shape”
- Erika de Casier – “Do My Thing”
- Erika de Casier – “Little Bit”
- Faye Webster – “Kingston”
- Flying Lotus – “Black Balloons Reprise (feat. Denzel Curry)”
- Gemma – “‘Til We Lose The Feeling”
- Holly Herndon – “Frontier”
- Injury Reserve – “GTFU (feat. JPEGMAFIA & Cakes da Killa)”
- Jamila Woods – “BALDWIN (feat. Nico Segal)”
- Jamila Woods – “ZORA”
- J-E-T-S – “LOOK OUT (feat. Kingjet)”
- J-E-T-S – “REAL TRUTH (feat. Tkay Maidza)
- Nadia Tehran – “Down”
- NOIA – “Ciudad del Humo”
- Patience – “The Girls Are Chewing Gum”
- Pottery – “Spell”
- Purple Mountains – “All My Happiness Is Gone”
- Rhye – “Awake”
- Sacred Paws – “Almost It”
- Sleater-Kinney – “Hurry On Home”
- Tyler, the Creator – “EARFQUAKE”
- Vanishing Twin – “Magician’s Success”