August was another fruitful month, following suit with the rest of the year. Releases from Dan Deacon, Animal Collective, Thee Oh Sees, Yeasayer, Deerhoof, Swans… So many… Good… Releases… Some great singles came about too: Black Moth Super Rainbow, Dum Dum Girls, Grizzly Bear… and MORE. I also discovered some older classics like Velvet Underground and Boards of Canada.
1. Guilford Avenue Bridge – Dan Deacon
2. In Heat (Javelin Remix) – HEALTH
3. Die Slow – HEALTH
4. Yet Again – Grizzly Bear
5. The Gift – The Velvet Underground
6. Windshield Smasher – Black Moth Super Rainbow
7. After Light (ft. AlunaGeorge) – Rustie
8. Urchin – Labyrinth Ear
9. No Bones – Yeasayer
10. Lord Knows – Dum Dum Girls
This string of 10 songs concludes my trip to Michigan. The first few there were in preparation for the 12 hour drive there, so I made sure I was fully loaded with sick tunes. Dan Deacon’s “America” really did that for me. Such a pleasure listening to that while I was cruising along the highway. Some of the other songs were just some free downloads made available when I was away.
The next set of songs starts the countdown before college. I returned to my home with roughly two weeks left of my summer, so I had to make it count. I packed it full of wonderful tunes to jam out to to soundtrack my last few carefree days.
11. Running (Disclosure Remix) – Jessie Ware
12. Swimming Pools (Drank) – Kendrick Lamar
13. Genesis (Grimes Bootleg) – Ryan Hemsworth
14. Flood’s New Light – Thee Oh Sees
15. Gangnam Style – PSY
As if to send my last days of summer off with a bang, the Korean pop sensation PSY blessed my ears with his infectious earworm, “Gangnam Style,” and my life has never been the same. It all started off with a silly music video that was posted on Reddit a bunch. I started listening to it more and more and eventually I was wrapped in the craze that soon ballooned to outrageous proportions. ~330,000,000 views on YouTube, international star status, and people doing so many parody videos on YouTube. Needless to say, it helped me start my school year right. I find it interesting, though, that I went from such a radio-friendly club banging thing, to a Boards of Canada song, a very contemplative, classic downtempo electronic song. Interesting. Both great songs. Dayvan Cowboy is definitely greater in the long run, but Gangnam Style is still going strong in my mind.
16. Dayvan Cowboy – Boards of Canada
17. Monkey Riches – Animal Collective
18. Flange Face (ft. Miguel Atwood Ferguson) – The Gaslamp Killer
19. The Trouble With Candyhands – Deerhoof
20. Lunacy – Swans
21. Watch the Corners – Dinosaur Jr.
And there we have it! Hope you enjoyed the list, the September one should be coming out soon!
ALSO! I had my 200th post on here a while ago! I’m gonna post something special commemorating it or something, so stay tuned for that too!